October 2, 2012

Late Night Wedding Thoughts

Sparkles and Flowers
Swirling a room of smiles
Happy greetings become age old stories
Laughter builds countless memories
And love.
So much pure, simple love.
It's a beautiful day
Full of friends and family
Sillines and special words
Full of everything but you.

This day
So perfectly planned
Was lacking in a wisdom and grace
That only you could provide.
The only gaps in this fabric of togetherness
Were the moments when I should have heard you laugh
At your grandaughters dance moves
Or hear your voice
Reminding me with an all knowing smile to cover my drink.
Gaps that I was sure couldn't be filled.

But at some point
Amidst the business and socializing
I felt less empty.
And all of a sudden
There you were.
In a story of times gone by
In the drop of a tear during a toast.
In a groom dancing with a little girl
Or a brief inclination to, yes,
cover my drink.
In a smile
In a laugh
In a picture.
In a dance against all odds
between a grandfather and his beautiful bride.

You filled every moment
and brightened every smile.
Your soul lives in all of our hearts.

So yes
I still miss you
I love you more than words can say.
But Grandma?
Thanks for coming.
And just so you know?
You looked beautiful tonight.

1 comment: